Tomorrow starts my personal countdown of the return to civilization. The nanny is scheduled to start Thursday, and then the following Thursday I go back to work. Tick tock, tick tock...
The anxiety has subsided a bit, and I am feeling more confident about leaving Elliott for a couple of days a week. He is hearty (17.5 lbs!!!), and healthy and overall a very happy, peaceful baby. He adapts well to changing environments, isnt scared when new people hold him, and is in good spirits most days.
Hence, the reason why when my boss called me this past Thursday I hung up feeling a bit stressed. The conversation lasted 2 days, and we still dont have a resolution. But, the cliff notes version is that one of the companies owners doesnt like the schedule that I will be working, as he doesnt feel that it supports the best interest of our clients. After hearing his reasoning, I dont disagree... But, if you recall...my boss was the one who set my new schedule.
We ended the conversation on Friday without closure. Boss man needs to talk with the owner, and then get back with me. But, basically...I explained that I can't currently work the schedule he wants, as everyone is already committed and contracted, and there is not a way to change course now...or at least right now. I suggested that I come back to work under our previously agreed upon schedule, try it out, and hope that I can switch some days around in the long run and that the nanny's schedule opens up. Or, I offered to train a replacement should this not work out for the company.
I have a ton of mixed feelings about this exchange...first off, why didnt my boss clear it with the owners BEFORE he approved it for me? Second, why are they waiting until 2 weeks before I go back to work to bring all of this up? Third, if some sketchy things hadnt occurred in our other office, we would still have the other trainer on staff and this wouldnt be an issue. Fourth, will my be boss be a stand up kind of guy, and tell the owners that HE was the one who already approved my schedule...and that it isn't me being a difficult employee? And lastly, in a small way...I hope it doesn't work out, and I can stay home after all (although, there is NO WAY we could afford it...i checked and re-checked the budget, and then checked it again. No matter how many things I cut out of the budget, or expenses I pair down--we wouldn't have enough money to even pay the basic expenses without my income).
So, I am trying not to stress or worry. But, failing miserably at both. Suggestions? Thoughts?