Thursday, December 18, 2008

Yes, I am still spoiled

I am embarrassed to admit-- with all of the complaining and whining I have done over the last year or more regarding our budget that we still have a housekeeper.

However, just today I came to the realization that we should suspend her services.

For the record--we cancelled the gardener, we cancelled most of our cable services and all unneeded phone services.  We stopped eating out with special occasions as the exception.  I sewed a pair of underwear the other day--yes, you read that correctly.  We have energy and water efficient appliances.   We recycle, compost and conserve water and electricity.  We don't have a heater or AC.  I cancelled my gym membership, several magazine subscriptions, and stopped renewing for friends (sorry!).  I started shopping at second hand stores for toys and kids clothes and accessories.  I accept all hand-me-downs from friends and family, and do my best to pass along lightly used items to those who may need them as well.  

So, keeping our housekeeper didn't seem like a big deal with all of the other sacrifices I felt I had made.  Plus we LOVE her, and she has been with us for 5 years!!!   ...except that Elliott still goes to daycare 2 days a week.  And, as much as I love my free time, I don't really need THIS much of it.  I am bored.  Today, our housekeeper is scheduled to come (she comes every 2 weeks), but I am finding myself cleaning and doing laundry because I have the time, energy and I AM BORED.

Now, if the stars align in my favor I will be getting a hedge trimmer and maybe even a blower for the BIG day.  Our gardener works through the end of year--and then it is all me with the yard work.  I don't have any idea what type of job I am taking on.  But, I am certainly not afraid of manual labor (just spiders, oh and any insect).  I will be certain to complain about this soon.  Look for a post about the first week of January.

I will talk with hubby about this, and see what he thinks.  But, if I am going to make 'a go' of staying at home--I should do my own cleaning, do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My two cents is yes, you should do your cleaning, but maybe have the housekeeper come once a month to do the bigger stuff. Remember, part of the reason you got laid off (and me, too) is that people stopped spending money. If you stop paying the housekeeper, she can't afford to buy things, which causes profits at the stores to drop, which causes the stores to have to lay off people, who then can't afford to buy things, etc., etc., etc.

Also, Mike and I have a leaf blower (he got it for his birthday) and you are welcome to borrow it and anything else we have!