Monday, July 16, 2007

The honeymoon is over


The last couple of days have been a bit of a challenge, both in terms of patience and sleep. Elliott has taken to fussing and crying, and wanting to eat constantly. But, once we get to the boob, he doesn't want to latch on or he falls asleep. I thought maybe he was going through a growth spurt. I have read on several peoples blogs about a cry room...I have never heard of it before. Perhaps because I am not a church goer, but I sure do wish we had one here.
We were on a bit of a loose (very loose) schedule. But, the previous 2 nights threw that out the window. He was sleeping for 3-4 hour blocks and when he awoke, it would take us about 45-1 hour 15 minutes to feed and go back to sleep. But, the last few nights, he slept in 3 hour blocks staying up for 2 hours in the middle. Luckily my hubby is still home to help in the middle of the night--he is the designated diaper changer. On a side note, I had no idea that babies were so loud when it came to farts, burps and pooping noises. Holly cow.

This picture pretty much sums it up. Today we have a nurse coming to our house. There is a program here in CA that is backed by state funding and grants that assists first time Mom's. It's called First 5, but I don't know too much about it. Except that the nurse makes a home visit, does a check up, weighs him, and counsels on breastfeeding. I am going to take her up on the breastfeeding offer. My left breast needs some serious counseling.
We have been making more outings, and I am getting around a lot easier. I am waiting for the steri-strips to fall off my scar...but, I think I might have to 'assist' them. I wonder what a SAHM's (I'm not a SAHM, but I think about it sometimes) schedules look like during a typical day. Would I get bored? Would I be fulfilled? I suspect and hope that once my healing has reached a certain stage, and my car is functional again, and my hubby is back at work...that I will be able to get out and about with ease. Mostly, I hope that my nerves about driving with the little chipmunk are relived after a few solo car rides.

1 comment:

tali said...

Babies cry a lot. Loudly. And for No Good Reason. Which is why I'm done having babies.

Pampers are the way to go. But NOT "baby dry" -- the other kind.
Huggies suck.

You are a CHAMPION mom, I'm proud of you and love you.