Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nuchal Translucency Screening

Yesterday was our Nuchal Translucency Ultrasound. We weren't offered this test the first time around, and they explained that this test was newer and because I will be greater than 35 when I deliver, I am at an increased risk for having a child with Down Syndrome.

The test is put under the big header of the AFP test, but it is really 4 tests and they called it a
Quad Screening.  It involves 2 blood draws at different stages in the pregnancy, and an Ultrasound.  Then they combine all of the results together to give you the odds of having a baby with a life threatening disease.  The test is a screening test, but if the odds are high enough, you can opt for an Amnio to make a firm determination.

The US was exciting for me, even though they were looking for something serious.  The baby wasn't cooperating and it took them a LONG time to measure the nuchal fold.  But, that gave me more time to gaze at my baby on the screen.  The babe was moving around a ton, turning and moving its arms and legs.  It was very exciting to see.

I tried to talk the technician into telling me the sex, but she said she couldn't tell...and she said she doesn't like to be wrong.   So, we will wait another 6 or 8 weeks until we can find out.

The baby is measuring exactly on schedule.  All tests were negative so far (CF, Tay-Sachs, etc.), and our odds were so slim that the perinatolgist said not to worry at all.  

Our next appointment isn't for a few weeks, so I can relax and enjoying my growing belly for a bit.  

3 comments:

Music said...

Hooray for all signs pointing to a healthy baby!

Mike Peery said...

we actually had that test with Lex. weird that you didnt have it with E considering they were born 2 days apart!!!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!! I had that test with both my kids and was able to decline the amnio in both cases when the nuchal results came back with good numbers.

Sorry they couldn't get a good look between the legs. I'm sure you'll get a level 2 u/s at 20 weeks and get another good look at the baby.

I am glad everything is looking good for you!!