Saturday, April 25, 2009

1st Trimester times two

I haven't been writing much lately.  I have been trying to keep my head above water with parenting combined with morning sickness, coupled with fatigue.  I have a tremendous amount of respect for parents of multiple children.  

All in all, I feel far better than I did the first go round.  Most days I wake up feeling good, and as the day progresses I start to feel worse.  By the time evening rolls around I am wishing to be horizontal.

You always hear people say how each of their pregnancies are different.  But, for me, until I experience something I can't relate.  Well, I am here to report that this pregnancy is very different from my first one.  I know that each pregnancy is different, but there are some glaring differences for me.  With Elliott I had heartburn every day--I ate thousands of tums throughout the months.  Post-pregnancy, I could barely eat a tum without gaging.  But, this time around I hardly have any heartburn at all.  With Elliott I had to avoid juice, carbonated beverages, spicy foods, coffee, even the smell of red wine--however, not this time around.  I feel like I can eat whatever and not have to worry about getting heartburn.

I am also not yet experiencing the constipation I did the first time.  I suspect it is because I opted out of the pre-natal vitamins.  Instead I am taking the gummi-vites that Trader Joes sells. They seem much easier to digest and my system tolerates them better.

The morning sickness, while present, is NOTHING like it was with Elliott.  It is manageable, and not ruining my life.  My appetite is also different.  I felt insatiably hungry with Elliott, and this time around I feel particularly hungry. The difference is with Elliott I ate everything I could get my hands on, and this time around I want specific things.  

I also feel like I am showing already (picture soon!)--I can still fit into my jeans but I cant button most of them comfortably. I have been slowing acquiring back all of my loaned maternity clothes and anticipate needing them sooner this time around.  Although, I am going to wear regular clothes as long as possible!!!

We are very excited about this baby, but in a vastly different way than we were with Elliott. This time around we have an idea of what to expect, and aren't as worried.  Perhaps the reduced anxiety had allowed me to feel better this time around?  Thoughts, feedback?

No comments: